top of page
workplace discrimination, exclusion, gender, conflict, separate, sexism, ageism, bullying, genocide, racism, rights, harassment, sexism

  Workplace Discrimination


Effective July 1, 2022, the department previously known as the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) changed its name to the Civil Rights Department (CRD). In addition, the Fair Employment and Housing Council changed its name to the Civil Rights Council (CRC).

Just like the DFEH, CRD's statutory mandate is to “eliminate discrimination” in California. CRD receives, investigates, conciliates, mediates, and prosecutes complaints of alleged violations of numerous civil rights laws, including the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).

Q: What can an employee in California do if he or she believes they have been discriminated at their workplace?

A: Both federal and California law provide that an employee has the right to be free from unlawful discrimination in the workplace. In California, this applies to any employer with five or more full-time or part-time employees. Unlawful workplace discrimination may be based upon an employee’s:

  • race;

  • religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices);

  • color;

  • national origin;

  • ancestry;

  • physical or mental disability;

  • medical condition;

  • genetic information;

  • marital status;

  • sex;

  • gender;

  • gender identity;

  • gender expression;

  • sexual orientation;

  • military and veteran status;

  • age (if 40 or over); or

  • pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions.


Unlawful workplace discrimination may include:

  • refusing to hire or employ;

  • refusing to select for a training program leading to employment or an unpaid internship;

  • discharging from employment or from a training program leading to employment or an unpaid internship;

  • discriminating in compensation or terms, conditions or privileges of employment.                   


To determine whether you have been subjected to unlawful workplace discrimination, contact me at (916) 333-4653 or for a FREE confidential consultation to learn more. These types of claims must be brought within a very narrow time window, so the longer you wait, the less likely that you will be able to prevail on your claim.



Copyright Law Office of Stephen Fiegel – All rights reserved.

Nothing on this site is legal advice. All information is for educational purposes only. If you require legal advice, please contact an attorney in your specific jurisdiction. Do not act or refrain from acting based on what you read on this site. Viewing this site or communicating with Stephen Fiegel through this site does not create an attorney/client relationship.  Please review the full  “Terms of Use/Disclaimers/Legal Advertisement” page on this site for more information.

bottom of page